Water sports activities suspended along South Goa coast

Unseasonal high tides may be just the small window of phenomena that is to come



Unseasonal’ high tide occurring at ‘regular’ intervals, on account of the cyclonic storm Ockhi and super moon phenomenon, continued to wreak havoc along South Goa’s beaches.

Beaches from Majorda, Betalbatim, Colva to Benaulim, Varca and Cavelossim were severely affected.

Several shacks at Varca were flooded with seawater forcing the operators to shift tables, chairs, refrigerators and other belongings to safer zones.

“On the first day when the seawater-level rose, it wasn’t so high but the last night we were forced to empty the shack because the seawater was not only entering but was also displacing the chairs and tables,” said a worker at the Fatrade beach.

Shack operators said they have incurred huge loss running into some lakhs.

Water sports activities along the entire coast were also suspended as warning was issued not to venture into the sea.

A Drishti lifeguard posted at Benaulim said that a warning has been issued not to allow people to venture into the sea from Saturday till Wednesday this week.

The low-lying shacks were the most affected owing to their proximity to the seawater. Though the rise in the seawater-level began late Sunday evening, the increase in the level was clearly visible even till 11 am on Monday.

A manager of Ocean Avenue shack on the Vaddi beach at Benaulim said that the tourist flow has reduced following the ‘flooding.’

“This is for the first time the seawater level has risen so much during the season. I haven’t seen it this much even during the monsoon seasons. Tourists usually come to the shacks in the morning, at around 10 am, and then later in the evening watch the sunset. But ever since this phenomenon has occurred, barely anyone is coming,” said the manager.

The locals and shack operators opined that the   cyclonic storm and the full moon were the reasons for the rise in the seawater level on Sunday evening.

They were seen bracing for the next two days with beach beds and other items being taken away from the shore as a precautionary measure.